- Ford will introduce at least four new or redesigned vehicles in 2020, including a Mustang-inspired all-electric crossover and Bronco SUV.
- Highly-profitable Ford F-Series pickups also will be updated as part of the company’s new product plans.
- Ford plans to lower the average age of its product portfolio in the U.S. from 5.6 years in 2019 to 3.3 years in 2020.
Ford executives are leaning heavily on some of its most iconic vehicles to boost sales as U.S. automakers face falling demand, international tariffs and rising costs in a race to go electric.
In 2020, Ford is introducing a brand new Mustang-inspired, all-electric crossover vehicle and transferal back the Ford bronco SUV, that was discontinued in 1996. The new Mustang-inspired EV crossover is expected to compete against Tesla’s Model X and upcoming Model Y crossovers as well as a growing number of other all-electric crossovers. Ford is also updating or redesigning some of its best-selling models such as the Explorer SUV, Escape compact crossover and, most importantly, Ford’s F-150 and Super Duty pickups through next year.
“This is an incredibly transitional period for us,” Kumar Galhotra, Ford President of North America, said Tuesday while discussing the plans during a presentation at the J.P. Morgan Auto Conference.
It’s unclear if Ford simply plans to issue a photo, provide another teaser of sorts or has something planned for the Los Angeles Auto Show.
We do know that the model is expected to lean heavily on the Mustang’s design and a previous teaser photo showed what looks like the Mustang’s triple-element taillights. Whether this will be a Ford Mustang on stilts with an electric powertrain or a new model with various Mustang design cues, we don’t know.
News that the electric SUV will break cover in some way this November follows a report from this past May that declared we’d see the model debut entirely this year. It’s understood the Mustang-inspired SUV is supposed to launch sometime in 2020, which doesn’t put a late-2019 debut out of the question. The automaker also targets a 300-mile driving range.
Tire and wheel sizes are not visible in the few photos we get, but the tires sure don’t look like the wide, meaty rubber you get on a Mustang GT. The model we’re looking at now could very well be a lower-power version of the car, though. All Mach Es should be quick, though, as Bill Ford has previously said this car will “go like hell.”
While the roofline of the car has been obscured by heavy additions to the rear of the Mach E, it is thought that the car will have the look of a coupe with sharply raked rear glass, the news outlet said. In a previous teaser photo from Ford, the Mach E’s taillights were displayed with three vertical bars, which is also a similar design to the Mustang’s.
Ford claims that this new model will be relatively affordable, so we expect a starting price of around $40,000 when it arrives sometime next year.
Now that the first one is out, we’re bound to chance across other sightings of the Mach E. Look out for more prototypes as Ford ramps up to a probable launch in 2020.